Engineering is known to be the discipline, art and profession of learning and then implementing technical, scientific, and mathematical knowledge to design and implement materials, structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes that safely realize a desired objective or invention. Below some engineering wonder are discussed through videos and it is great to see them live.
- London Millennium Foot Bridge: It is pedestrian only steel suspension bridge over river Thames in London, England and connects the Bankside with the City. It is situated between Southwark Bridge and Blackfriars Railway Bridge. Bridge House Estates entertains its ownership that is a charitable trust and is looked by the City of London Corporation. It is nicknamed as Wobbly Bridge by Londoners.
- The Channel Tunnel: Also named by Euro tunnel it is a rail link under the English Channel between Cheriton near Folkestone, Kent and Coquelles near Calais. It is one of the wondering civil engineering projects of the 20th century. It has capacity to bypass 600 trains per day each way. It is 50 km long of which its 39 km are below sea. It includes two railway tunnels and a service tunnel. There are also many several “cross-over” passages which allow trains to switch from one track to another.
- The Golden Gate Bridge: It is a suspension bridge that spans from Golden Gate, the opening of the San Francisco Bay into the Pacific Ocean. It is a part of US, Route 101 and State Route 1, it joints the City of San Francisco on the northern tip of the San Francisco Peninsula to Marin County. It is the longest suspension bridge span in the world (4,200 feet). Its two towers are 746 feet high that is 192 feet more than the Washington Monument.
- The Panama Canal: It is a major ship canal that passes through the Isthmus of Panama in Central America and connects the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Its construction is considered as one of the difficult tasks with perspective of engineering projects ever taken by anyone. It had change scenario of shipping between both countries to a greater extend and length. It is 50 miles long 80 km long international water way and saved around 8000 miles from journey around the southern tip of South America, Cape Horn.
- Delta Works: The Delta Works project was undertook in Netherlands at large sea area of land around the Rhine- Meus-Scheldt delta from the sea. It is a quite complex collection of locks, sluices, channels, bridges, slides, dams, dikes storm surge barriers. This dam that was constructed with objective to save the area from flood and is consisted of massive supporting pylons, normal weather, allow tidal and sea waters to ebb and flow in the Eastern Schelde estuary.