While you might not remember the names of great engineers from your high school history books as easily as you remember the names of Presidents, monarchs, and scientists, you can bet they were there changing history. Hey, it was probably an engineer who created the wheel, and you know an engineer was instrumental in erecting the Pyramids. Unfortunately, no record exists of stone age engineers, but here is a list of 10 Engineers Who Changed the Course of History.
Imhotep is a name you might remember from The Mummy, but more importantly, he was the earliest civil engineer on record and likely designed and supervised the step Pyramid of Djoser. How did he change history? Other than leaving giant rock piles around the desert, he introduced columns into architecture.
Archimedes was a mechanical engineer in ancient Greece. He invented the Antikythera mechanism, called the first mechanical computer, but most importantly for history, he figured out how to use epicyclic gearing (which would come in handy for trains in the Industrial Revolution).
Leonardo DaVinci was not only an artist, but also an engineer, creating drawings of flying contraptions that would inspire generations of scientists after him.
Thomas Savery, an early mechanical engineer, built the first steam engine in 1698. But that idea literally didn’t go anywhere until around 200 years later.
Alessandro Volta experimented with Electrical engineering in the 1800s, creating the first electric cell called the Volt.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel was a famous British civil engineer during the Industrial Revolution who created bridges, dockyards, and the first major British railway, in addition to steamships and tunnels. He revolutionized public transportation, and built the first tunnel beneath a navigable river.
The Wright brothers may not have been the very first aeronautical engineers, but they were the first to be successful.
Ludwig Prandtl is called the “Father of modern aerodynamics,” and institutionalized aerospace research at the turn of the 20th century. Through decades of wind-tunnel experiments, he and his research team learned about gas dynamics, wings, meteorology, boundary layer and resistance, and other vital flight information that set the course for aerospace engineering.
Alan Emtage, computer engineer, built the first search engine in 1990, bringing the rapid rise of computer technology.
Dilbert, generic engineer, whose only claim on history is that he made engineering funny. It was really very serious before Dilbert came along.
When you look over the great engineers of the past, you see how one branch of engineering engenders the next. Pyramids lead to bridges, archways lead to tunnels, gears lead to engines which created the entire field of chemical engineering. Aeronautical engineering gave way to Aerospace engineering as men learned to fly to the stars. Today, computer engineering changes the world almost daily. Tomorrow, perhaps a new kind of engineer will change history.
Engineering is known to be the discipline, art and profession of learning and then implementing technical, scientific, and mathematical knowledge to design and implement materials, structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes that safely realize a desired objective or invention. Below some engineering wonder are discussed through videos and it is great to see them live.
- London Millennium Foot Bridge: It is pedestrian only steel suspension bridge over river Thames in London, England and connects the Bankside with the City. It is situated between Southwark Bridge and Blackfriars Railway Bridge. Bridge House Estates entertains its ownership that is a charitable trust and is looked by the City of London Corporation. It is nicknamed as Wobbly Bridge by Londoners.
- The Channel Tunnel: Also named by Euro tunnel it is a rail link under the English Channel between Cheriton near Folkestone, Kent and Coquelles near Calais. It is one of the wondering civil engineering projects of the 20th century. It has capacity to bypass 600 trains per day each way. It is 50 km long of which its 39 km are below sea. It includes two railway tunnels and a service tunnel. There are also many several “cross-over” passages which allow trains to switch from one track to another.
- The Golden Gate Bridge: It is a suspension bridge that spans from Golden Gate, the opening of the San Francisco Bay into the Pacific Ocean. It is a part of US, Route 101 and State Route 1, it joints the City of San Francisco on the northern tip of the San Francisco Peninsula to Marin County. It is the longest suspension bridge span in the world (4,200 feet). Its two towers are 746 feet high that is 192 feet more than the Washington Monument.
- The Panama Canal: It is a major ship canal that passes through the Isthmus of Panama in Central America and connects the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Its construction is considered as one of the difficult tasks with perspective of engineering projects ever taken by anyone. It had change scenario of shipping between both countries to a greater extend and length. It is 50 miles long 80 km long international water way and saved around 8000 miles from journey around the southern tip of South America, Cape Horn.
- Delta Works: The Delta Works project was undertook in Netherlands at large sea area of land around the Rhine- Meus-Scheldt delta from the sea. It is a quite complex collection of locks, sluices, channels, bridges, slides, dams, dikes storm surge barriers. This dam that was constructed with objective to save the area from flood and is consisted of massive supporting pylons, normal weather, allow tidal and sea waters to ebb and flow in the Eastern Schelde estuary.
Careers in field of engineering is very popular due to the prestige, positive job outlook, and higher than average salary related to this field. If you are innovative, creative and like to have a challenging career then engineering is a right career for you to moving ahead in your life. Here are some facts related with career of Engineering.
- Being explaining it to be engineering is the field of applied sciences and mathematics to create solutions solving a problem. An engineer design and manufacture machines, processes, systems and economic structures. So it can be understood that engineers are inventors. It is very rewarding career for creative and innovative persons around the world and there to a great deal of prestige is associated with engineering career.
- In order to become the best engineer you should be a good at math and physics with creative bend of mind with curiosity to manufacture and fabricate new things and projects.
- In engineering, there exists a very vast and open field to work upon as far as technologies advances the scope for engineering also increases. There are more than known 25 recognized career options for students in engineering. A few well known streams of engineering are aerospace, chemical, civil, electrical engineering, industrial engineering, material engineering, mechanical engineering and software engineering.
- For becoming an engineer person should have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college. Engineers happen to be smarter people having skills in Math and physics. They are people who always does not invent, they also follow prescribed guidelines, formulas, theories and standards. In the end for becoming an engineer you should have basic grasp over subjects like physic and mathematics.
- As looking out for engineering jobs one should not only rely upon ads advertised into scientific journals but other places too. A person should look out for job scope at meeting and conferences. As in meeting or a conference you meet a variety of people from your area and field of interest. There you can discuss about the job opportunities for rather longer term or for a permanent base.
- Salaries for engineers lies into the departments in which they work for as for a recent estimates the highest salary was offered in aerospace preceded by agriculture, architecture, bioengineering and biomedical. Annual earnings for the branch of engineering lies being as electrical$75, 980, Civil $68, 600, Mechanical $69, 850, Computer Hardware $88, 470, Nuclear$90, 220 and Biomedical$73, 930.
- As according to a survey held in US, nearly 1.5 million jobs were accounted for engineers in United States. Of those civil engineers held 256,000 jobs, mechanical engineers worked in 227,000 positions, industrial engineers worked on nearly 201,000 positions, electrical engineers on 153, 000 positions and computer engineers 138,000. And as for job prospects and growth engineering employment in US would grow as fast as like other occupations till 2016.
If you work as an engineer, you have to possess current knowledge of the practices and technology applied in your filed. This is a dynamic field therefore you need to be well informed and trained. It is not easy to take time off work to get the training required and this is why an online Masters in Engineering will come in handy. By furthering your education, you will be in a better position to get promoted and in some cases even maintain your job. Online Masters in Engineering degrees are offered in various fields including civil, computer, systems, electrical and software. Once you complete your masters, you can qualify for faculty positions and even research and development projects in the field.
The online Masters in Engineering programs are usually referred to as outreach programs and offer a great solution for individuals who are fulltime professionals. This will allow you to get your masters without interfering with your career or family life. With this program, the on-campus programs are streamed on video or DVD. All you need to get access to these classes is a computer with high speed internet. The outreach programs offer the same kind of material offered to on-campus students.
You will be required to complete 36 credit hours for your masters and to graduate; you have to get at minimum of a B as your grade-point-average. You will choose the courses from the variety that is available for this degree but your advisor has to approve the courses you choose. There are two compulsory courses that include Engineering Law and Engineering Management.
Most of the universities that offer the programs make them available to those who do not live near campuses or those who have to take care of a family or work. There is no restriction on which web connection you use to get access to the course material for your Master’s in Engineering but for examinations; there are some specific sites that are made available for control purposes. Some of the most common sites that the schools use include universities, embassies, community colleges, consulates and industries.
To qualify for this degree, you have to hold a baccalaureate degree in any engineering filed or a related one like physics, computer science or mathematics. The degree has to be from an institution that is accredited. You should also have a grade-point-average of 4.0 in your undergraduate degree.